The vaping world is vast and varied, and it can be intimidating to those just starting out. Figuring out how to choose and use e-liquids, keep your vape in good condition, and integrate vaping into your daily life can be difficult without guidance. That’s why we’ve put together this list of fifteen quick tips for beginner vapers.
If you’re new to vaping or recently upgraded from a disposable e-cigarette to a mod or other open-system vape, these tips will help you find your footing and ensure you’re getting the most out of your vaping experience.
Vaping Tips for E-liquid
1. Buy your e-juice from reputable, US manufacturer. If you go for the cheap Chinese e-liquids, you risk getting low-quality juice that contains impurities. It’s worth putting down a little extra money for a high-quality e-liquid from a manufacturer with a good reputation for cleanliness and using pure, medical-grade nicotine and food-grade ingredients.
2. Finding an e-liquid flavor that’s right for you is the most important part of a good vaping experience. If you’re not sure what to buy, you can try out a variety of flavors if you get an e-juice sample box. You can even pick and choose which e-liquids you want to try when you build your own sample box from our online store.
3. Beware of using acidic, citrus, essential oil, or cinnamon flavored e-liquids in a plastic tank. These acidic flavors can weaken, fog, or even crack your tank. If you enjoy these flavors, then make sure to invest in a glass or pyrex tank to avoid damage.
4. If you buy a bottle of e-liquid that tastes stale or lacks flavor, you might want to try steeping it for a week or two. Many e-liquids acquire a much better, richer flavor after you let them sit in a dark room for a couple weeks, shaking them occasionally to help the flavors marry.
5. Know your PG/VG ratios. Depending on the kind of flavor and vape cloud you desire, you might want an e-liquid higher or lower in VG (vegetable glycerin). High VG e-liquid produces thicker smoke and smoother hits, but will often clog your vape’s atomizer more quickly than low-VG juice. Low VG e-liquid produces smaller clouds, a richer flavor, and a deeper “throat hit,” which many smokers and former smokers prefer.
Vaping Tips for Care & Maintenance
1. Check your battery connections often for e-juice buildup. To do this, simply unscrew your battery and check for any dirt or e-liquid residue on the parts where the battery and atomizer contact one another. Wipe off any grime or build-up with a cotton swab or cloth, and don’t forget to clean out the threads, too. Doing this regularly is very important to ensure that your battery and vape work properly.
2. Empty and clean out your e-liquid tank regularly. If you don’t, you are likely to experience leaking, build-up, and bad flavor. To clean it, disassemble the vape as much as you can, pour out excess e-liquid, and then rinse your tank, atomizer, and mouthpiece under hot, running water. You should do this at least once a week, or more if you vape quite often.
3. Many new vape and mod owners neglect to change their coils regularly, not realizing how much it affects the vaping experience. You’ll know it’s time to change them when you notice buildup on your coils or your vapor starts getting an unpleasant, burnt flavor.
4. Take care of your battery/batteries. Never use a damaged battery, and make sure to handle your e-cigarette with care so your battery doesn’t get banged or scratched. Always unscrew the battery from your mod or e-cigarette before charging it.
5. When changing your coil or atomizer head, avoid the terrible-tasting, harsh dry hits afterward by priming the wicks or cotton first. If you have long wicks, simply saturate them with e-liquid (or pure vegetable glycerin, if you want to avoid wasting e-juice) before attaching the coils. If you have an atomizer head with internal wicks, drip e-liquid or vegetable glycerin in the holes where you can see the white, cotton material inside. The next time you fire up your vape pen, take a few quick, short drags without inhaling, then repeat a few more times until the flavor evens out.
Everyday Vaping Pro Tips
1. Always keep an extra set of batteries charged so you can switch them out when your current battery dies. That way, you never have to sit unable to vape for hours while you impatiently wait for your e-cigarette to charge. It’s also a good idea to keep extras in your purse, home, and at work so you’re never caught without without one.
2. If you have more than one favorite flavor that you like to vape often, consider investing in an extra tank or two to save time and avoid flavor ghosting. That way, instead of having to thoroughly rinse and clean the tank and wicks every time you want to switch flavors, you can just switch out the tanks.
3. Vapers’ tongue is a condition that afflicts many e-cigarette users. It happens when you vape a single type of e-juice for so long that you can no longer taste the flavor. It’s easy to fix, though. All you have to do is switch to a new flavor for awhile, and when you go back to the original flavor you should be able to taste it again just fine. Staying hydrated and drinking water can help, too.
4. If you vape often on the go, keep a small cloth or bandana to clean up juice leaks. It’s also handy for wrapping up your vape like this; it will protect your e-cigarette from damage, absorb any e-liquid leaks, and it’s a handy way to pack your vape along with a bottle or two of e-liquid.
We’ll leave you with one final vaping tip: Don’t give up! Don’t be afraid to experiment and find out what works for you. Too many people give up too early because they started with a bad set-up and got the wrong idea about vaping.
That’s why you shouldn’t put up with a cheap cig-a-like device if it’s not working for you or use low-quality, off-brand juice. Take the time to try out new flavors and devices, and be sure to give them a fair chance.
Give yourself time to learn how to properly use and maintain your device and get used to its little quirks. Every new vape or e-cigarette takes some time to get used to, but if you follow these tips and have a little patience, you are sure to master your vape and experience the full extent of what vaping has to offer.