On Tuesday June 5th 2018 San Francisco voters upheld the vote to ban all flavored tobacco products.
Ranging from candy flavored e-liquid to menthol flavored cigarettes.
With this decision, San Francisco is said to now have the most stern policy concerning tobacco flavoring.
Dr. Melissa Welch, a spokeswoman at the American Heart Association, stated that the overwhelming vote around 68% to 32% will hopefully “encourage other cities to follow suit and end the sale of candy-flavored tobacco before nicotine addiction claims a new generation of young people.”
Eric Lindblom, current Georgetown Professor and prior Food and Drug Administration Tobacco Official takes the situation in form a different standpoint.
Professor Lindblom stated “They had a strategic chance there to show that they are actually walking the walk and talking the talk about moving smokers to nonsmoker tobacco products.”
Later, Lindblom also said “Instead they took this scorched earth approach, trying to eliminate the entire flavor ban. They failed and now other jurisdictions can say, ‘why should we compromise?”
This proposed plan was voted for last year and was supposed to begin in April.
R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, a major tobacco company dished out near $12 million for an ad campaign that swept the city in efforts to get the initiative on Tuesday’s ballot.
A spokesman for the company stated that this is a major “setback” for those who advocate tobacco harm reduction “because it removes from the market many potentially reduced-risk alternatives.”
The company aims to discuss the issue with federal representatives to continue the efforts to keep youth away from tobacco products while still having plenty of options for adults to use different alternatives for nicotine consumption.
With a budget of around 3.5 million dollars 1.8 million of which was contributed by former New York Mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg.
The strict policy is set to take place within a few days of final certification.